Hello everyone! Oh boy! Don’t we have a special treat for you this week!! A brand new wonderful wool just came to us all the way from West Yorkshire, England! It’s 100% Bluefaced Leicester... and it is to-die-for!!! It comes from a wool manufacturing company called West Yorkshire Spinners. In their state of the art factory, they specialize in producing natural high quality yarns, socks, scarves, and blankets using the finest wools, like the Bluefaced Leicester! All the wool fibers are sourced from their own sheep, that graze freely along the countryside. Those are some happy sheep! The Bluefaced Leicester is quite a regal looking creature...tall in stature, upright ears, and a very prominent nose! Their wool is highly valued, so silky and lustrous....
Awww don’t you just wanna kiss him on that nose!? Just look at those beautiful locks!
West Yorkshire Spinners are also sponsored by The Prince of Wales himself!! Wow! What other wool company has that kind of support!? We are proud to say that we are the first yarn store in the U.S. to get the opportunity carry such a fabulous wool!
This wool we have avaliable in 3 weights in 3 all natural colors. There is the DK thickness with a very generous yardage of 247!
An Aran thickness at 182 yards..
and a bulky one-ply roving yarn suitable hand-dyeing or felting (165 yrds). These are some of the silkiest, softest wools we have ever put our hands on! Really!! I cant wait to cast something on! This wool is just begging me to make something with cables. A skein of the Aran thickness is coming home with me today...
I’m thinking a slouchy, soft hat. Joan is knitting a child’s aran sweater right now as we speak! I caught a pic of it today....
Joan says it’s a dream to knit! I can’t wait! Must. Buy. Wool. Now!! You must, must come by and feel some of this wonderful wool. Even the Prince of Wales would say so :)
I was looking at West Yorkshire Spinner’s website today, and reading about their campaign for wool... I’d like to share with you now. It will inspire you to knit more wool!
10 Unwoolly Reasons to Love Wool
1. Pure wool is 100% natural, 100% renewable, 100% sustainable, 100% biodegradable. If you love the environment, use more wool!
2. Wool is warmer. How else would sheep keep so snug on a snowy hillside?
3. Wool has safety benefits too. According to firefighters, wool carpets are more flame-retardant if your house catches fire, and give off significantly less smoke.
4. And wool breathes ... naturally. Children love the sensation of wearing real Merino wool against their skin.
5. Sleep under woollen blankets and duvets for a scientifically-proven deeper, cosier night's rest.
6. Wool has hypoallergenic properties. The kindest, most natural material around.
7. It's so versatile. Insulate with it, soundproof with it, even package with it. The world's oldest renewable material is also the most modern.
8. Wool carpets look better for longer - a lasting investment.
9. Sheep are part of our historic landscape. Imagine Britain without fields of sheep. But it could happen...
10. Sheep numbers have halved in 20 years. Partly because we're all using less wool. Embrace wool and save our sheep!
All we are saying is... Give fleece a chance!
If you would like to read more about West Yorkshire Spinners click here to visit their website. I hope everyone enjoys their weekend and if you get a chance...come see (and squeeze) this wool!!